Sunday, November 29, 2009

In-Class Hilarity: Top Moments

One of the reasons I absolutely adore getting up and trekking to the University every day is because I get to hang out with some of the most fun and energetic people I’ve ever met. Aside from my standard fare of American history, music, film, and politics, my teaching profile has expanded to include lessons on employment and job interviews, the healthcare system, American values, business English, globalization, and much much more. This has given me a great chance not only to discuss and debate important issues, but also to illicit some hilarious comments from the students. Between the intentionally witty remarks and the unintentional comedy that results from language barriers, there’s never a dull moment in teaching an ESL class! Don’t worry….I am doing my part to cause just as many miscommunication hilarities with the Russian language. I am lucky that I work with people with a great sense of humor…we can laugh at our misunderstandings and use them as learning tools. Here are some of the top moments:

*(Discussing business dress code in America, looking at a slide of “dress code ‘Don’ts”)
*Me: It is also usually considered inappropriate to wear sneakers in the office…
*Student: Sneakers…this is like chocolate sneakers, right?
*Me: Hmm….chocolate sneakers, is this some sort of brand of sneakers in Russia?
*Student: Yes yes it is a brand…
*Me: Ok, well I have never heard of it, but ok…
*Another Student: This is with chocolate and nuts and caramel…
*Me (the light bulb goes on): OH! You mean SNICKERS! Chocolate SNICKERS!

*(Watching “Top Gun”)
My question: “What do you think motivates Maverick to act the way he does?” I’m looking for them to realize that it’s because of his father’s reputation; he has something to prove in the Navy to save his family name…
Dasha’s answer: “I think he acts this way because he is of small-tall, and he is trying to show that he is a big man.”
…..well I hadn’t thought of that, but Tom Cruise IS pretty short, so maybe that IS why he’s always acting so tough

*(Also during ‘Top Gun”)
My question: How would you describe Maverick?
Pasha’s answer: “He is a gay.”
Me: No, Pasha, he is NOT gay…..he and Goose are just good friends.
Pasha: No, he is a gay.
(20 minutes later, during the love scene between Tom and Kelly McGillis...an awkward silence falls over the room…)
Pasha (very quietly): Oh. He is not a gay….

*(Discussing the classic gangster film “The Untouchables”)
My question: “How would you describe 1930s Chicago?”
Ivan’s answer: “It is like the 1990s in Russia.”

*(Going over unknown words at the end of “The Untouchables”...one very good student knew almost all the words in the film, but being the diligent student she is, meticulously wrote down all the words she didn’t know….)
Me: Ok, so which words didn’t you recognize?
Lilia (raises her hand, very serious): “What does it mean, “Bull****?”
(I try to politely explain, while attempting to keep a straight face, that this is an American curse word and should not be said in formal English)
Me: Ok, what else? Yes, Lilia?
Lilia (raises her hand, very serious): “What does it mean, ‘Son of a b****?”
(Again, I explain, but it’s harder to keep a straight face this time…)
Me: Lilia, I’m afraid to ask, but anything else?
Lilia: Yes. What does it mean, “F*** you, You F***ing Nut?”
Geeze, does “The Untouchables” really have THAT much profanity in it? I didn’t notice, but apparently, it does. Oops, my bad. Definitely something to keep an eye out for in the future…….

*(With the advanced-level Translation class, translating Medvedev’s speech to the Security Council into English. Preface: in Russian rhetoric in speeches etc., it is very common for the speaker to address the audience and use rhetorical questions. The word-for-word translation, however, doesn’t quite have the same impact….)
”Medvedev”: “Nuclear disarmament: People, what do you think about it?”

*(Not an in-class story, but a witty moment from Roma, my 13-year-old buddy. He and his family have just discovered a store where you can buy discs with TEN high-quality movies for 35 rubles, about $1 in American money.)
*Roma (getting back into the car with his 60 or so new movies): “So guys, who wants to join the World Trade Organization now?”
-->To an international relations nerd like me, this was a pretty priceless comment:-)

And last but not least, a moment from one of my good friends, Lena
*Lena (at the nightclub): Let’s just drink champagne. I don’t want to get too hamburgered.
*Me: Hamburgered? What are you talking about?
*Lena: That slang word you taught us, you know, when you drink too much…
*Me: Hammered Lena, the word is hammered.:-)

Not to worry, my linguistic faux pas far outweigh those of my Russian friends and students…I recently confused the words for “fly” (as in the insect—‘mukha”) for the word “torture” (“muka”)…so I basically said that I was bothered by some torture that had come into my bedroom.

Though these moments can be funny, and they definitely make my day, I think they’re good for so much more than just mutual entertainment. When you can laugh with people from a different country or culture, that’s when you know that quality communication is taking place. Barriers are broken, and understandings are reached. It may not exactly be world peace….but maybe it’s a step in the right direction:-)


Me with a group of Journalism students....after my lecture "Media and Television in the United States", which I gave IN RUSSIAN!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your "lost in translation" stories. They make my day. You forgot to include "Ver is your chicken!" that also made me laugh out loud. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Liz! I really enjoyed it. Especially the Top Gun anecdotes. I've been having more and more laughable moments with my professors as we become more accustomed to each other...but humor is much harder with people twice your age...

    ReplyDelete